Sunday, June 8, 2014

Do You Ever Trash Talk Your Kids?

I followed Joanna's link to this article. This is such a good reminder to me, both as a mom and teacher. I especially love the part about children not being at an age to defend themselves. Framing it as not taking shots at those who are vulnerable is enlightening, as it's hard not to do the My Big Fat Greek Weeding thing anytime someone pays me a compliment (remember how they spit on whatever blessing was called into attention to ward off the evil eye?). I think deep down we are so immensely proud of our children and we feel like they are an extension of ourselves, that putting them down is some weird demonstration of modesty. I'm going to work on rerouting that misguided response.

Today I am grateful for:
my sister's one year anniversary (Isn't seeing the people you love happy the best?!!)
Hammond's Ice Cream is officially open (Hooray for summer!)
everyone is healthy and good



No comments:

Post a Comment